Steam development continues. In the meantime, I’ve been working through feedback on The Tower and I’ve got some fixes ready!
SKILL TREE LIMITS
There were a few exploitable things that needed fixing, like a bug in “Polymorph”. There were also some major balance issues. The Alchemist’s “Tinkerer” talent and Paladin’s “Consecrate” stood out as particularly strong builds for long Tower runs, with other classes barely able to keep up. I’m introducing a new feature to fix this:
Every time you clear a block of 20 floors in The Tower, you’ll get a free skill point and many of your skill tree’s limits will rise—allowing you to spend more points on them.
So, for example, you’ll be able to spend a second point—and eventually a third, and fourth, and so on—in the Thief’s “Shadow Master” talent, reducing the cool-down of Shadow Mastery. The raising of other limits will also allow your Thief to spend even more skill points in Speed or Stealth. If you play a Wizard you’ll be able to raise Inspiration to even higher percentages, allowing you to repeatedly cast spells more often, or put extra points into Leech to drain more and more health.
My hope is that these rising limits will give every class a chance at the higher floors of the Tower and enable some really cool game-breaking Tower builds. Give it a spin and let me know what works. There’s a lot I can do to tweak these expanding skill trees, so I hope I’ll be able to enable lots of viable builds soon!
Anyway, that’s the big stuff. I’ve also fixed several bugs, adjusted some game-breaking stuff and tweaked a few skills. I’ve put the patch up on Kongregate and will be deploying it to iOS and Android within the next few weeks.
Here are the full patch notes:
- Points in Speed will now give diminishing returns above Speed of 25.
- Damage-over-time effects like Fear, Poison and Bleed no longer break Fear, break Sleep, or trigger Destrid’s Ax.
- Skill tree limits now rise after each block of 20 floors.
- Free skill point awarded after each block of 20 floors.
- Scavengers will now sell weapons, armour and spells for slightly less.
CLASSES AND SKILLS
- Thief’s health reward from “Job Satisfaction” increased by 50%.
- Ranger’s “Poison Arrow” now deals regular Bow damage as well as poison damage and speed debuff.
- Ranger’s “Blood Link” now also gives Dog +8 HP. Limit increased to 2 points. (Dog’s basic HP reduced slightly to compensate.)
- Pugilist’s “Unarmed”: slightly increased damage at maximum.
- Pugilist skill “Sweep”: slightly increased duration of stun effect.
- Alchemist’s “Gunslinger” perk now reloads Pistol in one turn.
- Alchemist’s “Powder” talent now has 3 tiers and increases damage faster.
- “Polymorph” now generates a monster of the correct tier in The Tower.
- Fixed crash when using Ranger’s “Animal Bond” on Dog when there’s no-one around.
- Fixed Ranger’s “Sense Danger” on Tower floors 21+.
- Dog’s stats now increase properly after XP level 9.